Saturday, July 4, 2015

Freedom

We that live here in the United States of America really take a shine to the word freedom. On a day such as this, the Fourth of July, we feel that "American Pride."  I cannot deny that I am grateful to live within a republic that seems, for the most part, to love the idea of freedom. I know I enjoy freedom. Being able to write this is just one of the many freedoms I can take advantage of. As a follower of Christ, I recognize that Jesus is the one, the only one, to give me complete freedom. But that only began when I was willing to surrender my so called "freedoms" to Christ. The apostle Paul puts it this way...
"For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." (Galatians 5:1 ESV)
Today as I reflect on freedom, I recognize it is only Christ who sets me free. 

"Stay where you were when God called your name. Were you a slave? Slavery is no roadblock to obeying and believing. I don’t mean you’re stuck and can’t leave. If you have a chance at freedom, go ahead and take it. I’m simply trying to point out that under your new Master you’re going to experience a marvelous freedom you would never have dreamed of. On the other hand, if you were free when Christ called you, you’ll experience a delightful “enslavement to God” you would never have dreamed of."
(1 Corinthians 7:20-22 MSG)
Freedom begins with surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment